Saturday, April 2, 2016

Meet the Staff of 2016! - Vol II - Chelsea Interviews Kuba






Chelsea:  What are you most excited about camp?

Kuba: I’m excited for just getting to experience camp all over again. I can’t wait to be teaching E.E again, going on all the hikes and fishing trips. Also all the activities we do every week, and the awesome summer camp afternoons, where the sun is setting and everyone’s having fun, it’s just beautiful.

Chelsea:  What are your three favorite things to do in your spare time?

Kuba: With the little time I have I really love hiking. Love trying to find those awesome views, or just walking in the woods for no purpose. Other than that, I’ve always enjoyed going to car shows with my friends, and bike riding.

Chelsea:  Why did you choose to work as a camp counselor at 4-H?

Kuba: Well, I’ve been going to 4-H camp ever since I was a kid, and since my first years at camp, I always wanted to be a counselor. So when the chance came for me to become a counselor last summer, I obviously took it. I had an amazing time last summer, and because of that I want to come back again and help make the campers experience the same feeling I had when I first went to camp.

Chelsea:  What course area are you working in?

Kuba:  Like I did last year, I’m working for Environmental Education (E.E). I love teaching campers about fishing, hiking, how to make fires, and just nature in general. Camp is a great place for campers to learn to appreciate nature and actually see how amazing it is.Working in E.E allows me to help kids see that too.

Chelsea:  Where are you from? 

Kuba: I live in New Jersey and go to Rutgers University, but I moved to the US from Poland back when I was much younger.

Chelsea: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Kuba: Teleportation. It’s a dream for me to travel and see the world, and being about to teleport I could all over the world to the most beautiful places in the world. I definitely would want to be able to teleport other people too, because I wouldn’t want to go to all these places alone. Is this your first time working for the camp?

Chelsea: This is my first time working for the camp! I am super excited and cannot wait to take on this new adventure.

Kuba: What are you most excited about camp?

Chelsea: I am most excited about meeting new people, working in the arts and crafts department and having my first sleep away camp experience. Ever since I established being in love with the outdoors and nature, I’ve always wanted to go to a sleep away camp, but never got a chance to. I heard from past campers and counselors that this specific camp is an amazing one to be a part of.

Kuba: What are your three favorite things to do in your spare time?

Chelsea: My three favorite things to do in my spare time are hiking, painting/drawing and watching cheesy romance movies. I really love to hike because I am able to explore amazing places on beautiful days. Painting and drawing are my two favorite art activities to do where I am able to get lost in the pieces I am working on. It helps me relieve any stress I have and keeps me entertained at all times. I do have the stereotypical girl side of me where I love watching Nicolas Sparks movies whenever I can and cry at every movie regardless of how many times I’ve seen it.

Kuba: Why did you choose to work as a camp counselor at 4-H?

Chelsea:  I chose to work as a camp counselor at 4-H because ever since my freshman year of high school I have been working as a sales associate at a Gymboree Outlet in my hometown. During the summers while working at Gymboree, I felt very restricted being inside all day and it didn’t seem like it was having a major impact on me that will benefit me in the future. I currently attend Kutztown University majoring in art education and I always knew I wanted to work with kids. I believe this will be an incredible experience for me where I am able to have a really fun time and gain experience of working with children since I want to be a teacher in the future.

Kuba: What course area are you working for and why?

Chelsea: I am working for the arts and crafts department because I have always loved the idea of art where it was actually creating something or looking at other art pieces. I also want to be an art teacher one day and want to be able to teach children different art techniques.

Kuba: Where is your favorite place to go?

Chelsea: My favorite place to go are art museums because I find them very relaxing and they expose me to new perspectives of certain art techniques that I can open myself to do with pieces I work on in the future.

Kuba: If you could have dinner anyone in the world (doesn’t matter dead or alive), who would it be?

Chelsea: If I could have dinner with anyone in the world it would be Vincent van Gogh because he has been my favorite artist since I was in elementary school. I loved seeing his style of paintings and learning about his life story and how that influenced his artwork.

-------
Thanks Chelsea and Kuba! We're thrilled to have both of you on staff this summer, and can't wait to see what happens when you bring your individual passions to your course area classes and the rest of Camp.

A quick reminder: if you're free NEXT SATURDAY MORNING (4/9) and would like to join us for Spring Opening Day, our community service and camp-work day, we'd love to have you join us and help prepare Camp for the summer season! We'll be starting at 9:30 am and going until right after lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment