Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Meet The Staff of '16 - Vol. III - Grace Interviews T-Nivi




Grace: Hello Tyler, its very cold and rainy here, how is it where you are? I am so excited for this summer can’t wait for it to begin. I guess I’ll start with what is you job on camp?

Tyler: It's pretty much the same here. At least for now, it's supposed to warm up soon. Anyway, my job at camp is the Logistics Coordinator. Basically, I do a lot or the behind the scenes stuff at camp. Computer work, scheduling, paperwork. You know all of the fun stuff.

Grace: How long have you been coming to camp?

Tyler: I've been coming to camp since I was 12 years old as a camper. That's way back in 1992. So yes, I've been coming to camp since before the majority of the staff was born. That makes me sad, but I digress.


Grace: And whats you’re favourite thing about camp?


Tyler: There are a lot of favorite things that I have about camp, but one in particular is the staff and how they interact with the campers and each other. Staff Training week is might be my favorite week at camp. And now a question for you: you will be in the kitchen this summer, but that doesn't mean that you have to miss out on the fun activities we have. So, what kinds of camp stuff are you most looking forward to this summer?


Grace: Yes I will be in the kitchen quite allot to make sure the campers and the staff are well fed, but I absolutely love anything to do with water I've been swimming since I was 3 years old so I absolutely love it. I also love a good song and dance and love walking and exploring. I'm really looking forward to learning new things as well so I'm very open to trying new things. Because I love water so much how cold is the lake on camp? Do you like swimming?


Tyler: Swimming, dancing, exploring! All of those things are staples of camp, so you will no doubt have yourself a great time! The lake isn't too cold. It can take a little getting used to especially early in the summer, but once you're in, it's quite comfortable. I do enjoy swimming and take the occasional dip in the lake throughout the summer.

Grace: And out of all the activities what your favourite?


Tyler: My favorite activity at camp is going to bed, the days can be quite long. But besides that, I love Tuesday nights. That's when we have our Cabin Choice night in which the cabins do activities with their cabinmates throughout camp. They come up with some pretty creative and fun activities. I love walking around and checking out what they've come up with and joining in on some of the fun too. So, I used to be the shooting sports coordinator at camp several years ago, so I wonder if you had any interest in Archery, Air Rifles or Shotgun which is what we teach in shooting sports at camp.

Grace: I used to do archery when I was younger I'm not that bad. I've never done any form of shooting so that could be a new experience for me. What's the most challenging thing about camp?


Tyler: I feel like the most challenging thing about camp is keeping up with the pace and energy. Those kids go nonstop all day and it is often times quite exhausting.

Grace: Since I'm a chef what your favourite food when you're at camp?


Tyler: I enjoy all food at camp, but one of my favorites is the lobster and filet mignon. Kidding, but we do have an excellent menu and I love the apple crisp. You will love it as everyone else does, I'm certain. Did you ever go to a summer camp as a child?

Grace: No I've never been to camp before, I lived in Spain most of my childhood so most of my summer was spent swimming in the sea and ridding my bike. Even when I return to England I spent my summers at my home in Spain. What happens at staff training week?


Tyler: Staff Training week is the week that we train all of the staff so that they are well-prepared for the campers to arrive. We cover everything from life in the cabin to activities and games to meal times to bedtime. Everything from A to Z. It's quite extensive, but also a lot of fun.


Grace: What do staff get up to on the weekends?


Tyler:The weekends at camp are a chance for the staff to recharge. I highly recommend relaxing, sleeping and just taking it easy. However, I also recommend getting out and doing some fun things. There is a shopping mall about 45 minutes away, a zoo/museum not too far away, many many trails for you to go exploring that leads to scenic views and waterfalls. The last two weekends of the summer is when the fair is in town. It's quite a large event which I love going to every year. What kind of things do you hope to do/accomplish this summer at our camp?


Grace: I hope to see and experience as much as possible, I'm looking forward to see how different the American culture is to my own, as well as having as much experiences as possible not just the typical touristy ones. I've been wanting to do camp America for a few years now purely because i think it is an amazing learning experience and i believe it will help me grow as a person. I also believe it will help move towards my dream career in education. What would you recommend i do when coming to America and why?


Tyler: Those are some tough questions. In my experience with past Camp America staff, one of the first things they do is go to Wal-Mart or Target to get all of the supplies they didn't bring or forgot to bring. As for other things to do leisurely in America, that depends on your tastes. There are many things to do over here, and our camp is located not too far from New York City and the shore so there is a great range of different things

Grace: And as this is my first time doing Camp America what piece of advice would you give me?

Tyler: My advice would be to bring some of your most outrageous and crazy outfits and costumes, props, etc. We have many theme meals and activities where those kinds of things are put to good use. This was fun, and I hope I helped.


Grace: Thank you, very much. See you in the summer!
---


Thank YOU very much, Grace! (And I guess thank you too, T-Nivi.) And thank you in advance to everyone joining us for Spring Opening Day this Saturday! We're looking forward to seeing you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment