Monday, April 25, 2016

Meet the Staff of '16 - Volume VI - Hannah Interviews Julia






JULIA: Hi Hannah! My name is Julia Senkowsky. I'm glad Ben emailed us to interview each other! I was a camp counselor last summer and have been going to camp as a camper since I was young. Camp is so much fun and is a great place to escape! I can’t wait for you to get to experience it!


HANNAH: Hi! Yeah that sounds perfect. My first question is how many years have you been doing your role at camp and what about it inspires you to keep coming back?


JULIA: My first year as a camp counselor was last summer, but I have been attending camp for ten years now...maybe eleven. I can't keep track anymore. Camp has always been a special place for me. It has been a chance to get away from the pressure of the rest of the world and just be yourself and be crazy! As a counselor, I see that with campers coming in. Typically, if they are new to camp they are usually shy and curious as to why everyone acts so crazy at camp. But by the end of the week, they have joined right in with the fun! It’s really an amazing transformation. I love seeing these campers experience the joy of summer camp and helping them achieve what I have experienced myself!

HANNAH: That's great! If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?


JULIA: There are so many places I would like to visit! I've always been interested in traveling, but right now I've been wanting to go to New Zealand because I am studying abroad there next year! I can't wait and it's all I think about!! What about you? You obviously want to travel if you are joining camp America. What would you like to travel to the most? Also, where in the US do you want to travel?

HANNAH: That sounds awesome!That's a difficult question! I'm lucky enough to be going to Indonesia for the second time next year to work as a research assistant. I'd most like to visit Alaska as the hiking looks fantastic. I lived in Oregon until I was 8 so I've seen a fair bit of the West Coast - I'd love to travel around the East Coast, which is why I chose this camp 
😊. Time for a less serious question - if you could be any animal, what would you be and why?

JULIA: Wow! you've been all over! I would probably choose to be a dog since dogs have the best life. I swear my dog has a better life than me. Sometimes my dad will cook eggs for the dog and not me hahah! What about you?

HANNAH: Ahaha! I'd probably choose to be a narwhal so I could explore the arctic, also mainly because I'd feel like a unicorn haha. Ok! What's your most memorable camp moment?

JULIA: Oh gosh! There are so many! I’m going to change this question to be specific to last summer only. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to give an answer. Last summer my most memorable camp memory was probably when I accidentally opened my mouth when the lake gunk was getting poured on my head  when I went through the CHAOS machine. (You will learn about that once you get to camp, it’s very indescribable). But if you do have the "pleasure" of going through the CHAOS machine here's some advice... DONT OPEN YOUR MOUTH! (*Editors Note: Julia accidentally getting all the lake gunk in her mouth was one of the grossest/most incredible things I've ever seen. Mostly because it was not just a little lake gunk. It was A LOT of lake gunk. And she acted  like it wasn't even a big deal. She's super tough.)


HANNAH: I'll bear that in mind haha!


JULIA: Now, a few questions about you. Why did you decide to join camp America?

HANNAH: I thought it would be a brilliant experience - I love working with kids and the chance to teach them outdoor education seemed perfect to me! I'm also hugely into travelling and Camp America makes it possible fairly cheaply.

JULIA: Camp sounds like the perfect place to you! I am so excited for you! One final question: From what you have learned about camp, what are you most looking forward to?


HANNAH: Yep, I'm so excited! I think getting the chance to work with kids who are a bit shy/nervous to be at camp and helping them to come out of their shell a bit will be amazing and really rewarding - I was quite shy when I was younger and I know I would've appreciated a bit of extra encouragement. Other than that, just generally getting stuck in all the activities! 😊


JULIA: That is definitely something incredible to experience! Well Hannah, it was very nice chatting with you! I cannot wait to meet you in less than two months!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment