Friday, April 17, 2015

Meet the Staff of '15: Mister Wasserman Interviews Tory Engel

The eleventh installment of our 17ish part series:  Meet the Summer Staff of 2015!



Mr. Michael "Mister Wasserman" Wasserman

Shooting Sports Counselor


--------------------INTERVIEWS--------------------


Tory Engel



Waterfront Counselor


M: Hey Tory! How are you on this fine day?

T: Can’t complain… except my back aches, the sun's too bright, but its all good, because my booty shakes from the left to the right! 

(***Editors Note: For those of you who don't know, worry not. That is a reference to a Camp Song. Tory is not ill and she is in need of NO medical attention.***)

M: I am pretty fantastic, so let’s get this interview on the road. How long have you been coming to camp?

T: This will be my 11th summer at 4‐H camp (am I old yet?)

M: Wow! That is an incredibly long time, longer than some of the campers have been alive! So what compelled you to become a staff member here at 4‐H Camp?

T: When I was just a little cabin 8 girl all of the counselors had water guns so naturally I asked Jim if I could have one! He said that I could have one when I became a counselor. I am following through on that. (On a serious note, I love all of the energy and experiences that are made at camp and I want to help make those memories similar to the ones that I have from being a camper.)

M: This is new information for me and I will be bringing a water gun this year because water guns are really cool. Since I’m a shooting sports counselor, water guns are something I’m pretty good with. Speaking of course areas, what course area will you be taking charge of this summer?

T: You’ll be able to see me splashing around over at WATERFRONT! YEAH KAYAKS AND CANOES AND SLIDES!

M: That sounds completely awesome! Just like camp! What are you looking forward to the most as well as the least?

T: I am looking forward to spending the summer at the best place on earth obviously. I am not exactly sure how I feel about the chaos machine yet, I guess we'll find out soon, right?

M: You are indeed correct. So what made you keep coming back to camp? It’s a very crazy place and to my astonishment, I have heard rumors that there are people that don’t spend entire summers in the woods.

T: All the amazing people I met and how I could come to camp knowing no one and leave with three new best friends. Also being outside playing games and having a good laugh every day.

M: Well camp is a perfect place for all of those things! What are you expecting the life of a counselor to be like?

T: I don’t really know what to expect. I am going into the position with an open mind and an adventurous heart. I know, though, that I will love the job itself because of my love of camp.

M: I think that’s the right attitude to succeed in the life of a CAMP COUNSELOR. If you could only have one camp meal the entire summer, what would that meal be and would there be any specific way people would have to eat said meal?

T: Viking dinner forever and always. Who doesn’t like to stick their faces into some freak‐out?

(***Editor's Note, Again. Once more, for those of you who don't know, Freak-Out is a delicious Thursday night Camp dessert. Tory is still not ill.***)

M: Everyone loves to stick their faces in freakout, it’s too good to resist. Viking dinner also means that silverware doesn’t need to go through our beloved Hobart. So what exactly is your favorite camp memory?

T: This is harder to answer than all of the SATs, math questions, and chemistry questions combined. So I am going to do my go to that I do with those and guess: C. all of the above.

M: That is a valid answer and I won’t press it any further because there is so much to love about camp! What do you feel you bring to the camp that nobody else can?

T: I can bring my favorite coffee mug and some serious dance moves.

M: Everyone loves a good coffee mug! Just be careful with yours so it doesn’t end up shattering like some of the other mugs did this past summer. RIP Jim’s Moose Mug. Is there anything that an old counselor of yours did that you are really excited to do with your campers?

T: (moment of silence for Jim’s Moose Mug) Being super spontaneous and playing games that definitely don’t exist outside of the camp world. (Cutter disk ultimate Frisbee foosball to be exact)

M: I’m glad you’re excited for all those crazy things because I guarantee camp will provide plenty spontaneity and games that don’t exist in the “real world” (whatever that is). Is there anything you would like to know about being a counselor from someone that has done it before?

T: How to be as awesome as you guys, is there a trick? Should I start eating a lot of oranges? Do I grow into the awesomeness or do I find the awesomeness? Teach me your ways.

M: That is actually confidential information that you will learn on the camp premises. It has been marvelous talking to you Tory and I’m SO EXCITED you will be joining the crazy crew of camp this coming summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment