Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Meet the Staff of '15: Ben Interviews Sean Post

The eight and half-th installment of our 17ish part series:

Meet the Summer Staff of 2015!



Ben "Y'know...Me" Clawson
Program Director



--------------------INTERVIEWS--------------------


SEAN "SEAN POST!" POST



DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT


BEN: So Mr. Post, after years and years and years of volunteering, you're finally going to work on staff, something you've never done before. What made you take the plunge?  

SEAN POST: I had heard from so many people how great it was to be at camp for more than one week at a time and I figured I needed to actually see what that was like for myself.

BEN: An interesting answer. I see you are among the many people who forgot that you did indeed work here for the entirety of Summer 2011. Moving on.
So this is a brand new position at Camp. What made you think you were qualified?

SEAN POST:  It honestly felt like it was a position created just for me.  I enjoy volunteering and I once read an online review about a management book so I didn't think I could be any more qualified.  I also manage multiple fantasy football teams which I felt would qualify me for managing real people as well.

BEN:  I seem to recall I beat you rather handily in one of those leagues. (That’s what I seem to recall. That does not mean it is true though.) What are the most important qualities for a Deputy Director of Volunteer Management to exhibit?  

SEAN POST:  I believe there are great expectations for a position of this honor.  A Deputy Director needs to be capable of using a walkie-talkie and have experience with the Hobart to clean after meals.  While I have yet to use a walkie, I believe I will show enthusiasm and a spirit of learning to get up to speed.  The most important quality though would be to work whether a paycheck actually arrives or not.

BEN:  Yeah, you’re not getting a Walkie. When you volunteered last year, you kidnapped our Arts and Crafts Coordinator Alissa Cutter for the entirety of Session 4. I would have thought that wouldn't bode well for you to be employed at Camp, and yet here you are. How did you overcome the fact that you're a known criminal in your interview?  

SEAN POST:  Yes, this was certainly an obstacle for me to overcome in the interview process as everyone loves Alissa.  However, I also kidnapped both Figlers and I think that was a pretty successful moment last summer.  I guess the good outweighed the bad in this case.

BEN:  Under your watch as Deputy Director, what will you do to ensure there are LESS kidnappings of Staff, and not more? 'Cause I actually just remembered you also kidnapped both Figler brothers (our revered Twinces for Medieval Week), so we always seem to have quite a spike in Theme-Related-Fun-Inducing-Staff-Abductions while you're present. How will you stop this?

SEAN POST: It is something that I have been working very hard to improve upon.  When I just stopped in for a week last summer, I did not think about the ripple effects of multiple kidnappings.  However, as the Deputy Director, I know I will need the help of the staff and I think that will be an excellent deterrent to my abduction habit.  I can't make any promises though....

BEN:  You can’t seem to make them or keep them, Sean Post. Camp Director Jim has made it very clear he does not agree with you working here because you're "unqualified and troublesome" and thinks your position is "utterly unnecessary". He has stated he intends to fire you very early in the Summer. So...if you could be fired by Jim ANYWHERE on Camp, where would it be? 

SEAN POST: I can understand where Jim is coming from, but I will make it my mission to prove him wrong.  I guess, though, if I have to be fired, there seems something poetic about being 'fired' by the lake side 'fire' ring.

BEN:  That’s exactly the kind of pun he’d enjoy enough where it just might save your job. I heard you stood in the freezing rain for ALL of Winter Gathering, hanging soggy ornaments on the Camp Tree. What made you decide to do that? 

SEAN POST:  It may surprise you, but this was a decision I made entirely on my own, without anyone else suggesting or dictating that I would have this responsibility.  My volunteering senses were tingling and I just felt inspired.

BEN:  If you could give me any birthday gift, what would it be? (Money is no option. Don't be cheap. It is my birthday, after all.) 

SEAN POST:  There is a very lengthy list of all this things that I have always wanted to give you for your birthday - I usually think about it at least twice a day.  The top three would be: a custom tailored tie dye suit; a framed picture of myself; and a record player/record (I figured you would like the vintage technology) with camp songs sung by actual campers.

BEN:  You can give me all three. There is no rule that you can only give one birthday gift. You've been coming to Camp for about 17 years straight. What could we do to make you stop? Seriously. What. WHAT!? Tell us and we'll do it. 

SEAN POST: Pay me?

BEN:  Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ll see how the summer goes. So, has this interview been the best part of your day, your week, or your life? 

SEAN POST:  I once got interviewed by the local paper for seeing the premier of the Pokemon movie, circa late 1990's and that was a pretty great moment.  This interview would also rank up there pretty high in terms of great life events.

BEN:  I need to Google back issues of the Herald and find that interview immediately. Finally, a quick brain game. Sean Post, what...is...today's date?

SEAN POST:  APRIL 1ST

BEN:  Why yes, Sean Post. It is April 1st. This is an April 1st Blog “Post.” Very astute of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment