Monday, March 16, 2015

Meet the Staff of '15: T-NIVI interviews Carli

The third installment of our 17ish part series:

Meet the Summer Staff of 2015!

CAMP'S LONGEST TENURED SEASONAL STAFF MEMBER

TYLER "T-NIVI" NIVISON

ADMINISTRATIVE SENIOR STAFF MEMBER

-------------INTERVIEWS-------------

CARLI ROMANCHUK

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION  COUNSELOR

(*Editors Note: You'll see Tyler, of course, gave Carli a quiz instead of an interview. She answers in red, but then naturally Tyler can't help himself but respond and critique her answers in green.)

1. What course area will you be working in?
     a. Shooting Sports
     b. Waterfront
     c. Environmental Education
     d. Creative Arts

EE, only the best!

Debatable, but I'll let it go for the sake of the interview.

2. Who will your coordinator be?
     a. Sarah Morris
     b. Peter McBride
     c. Julie Clawson
     d. Molly Palmer

(Forgive me oh summer camp God in the sky, but I don't actually know this one!)

It is Molly Palmer, as a matter of fact, and she is looking very much forward to working with you!

3. Who do you wish your coordinator was?
     a. Tyler Nivison
     b. Tyler Nivison
     c. Tyler Nivison
     d. Tyler Nivison

All of the above.

I've never seen a more correct answer in my life.

4. What are you most excited about working at camp this year?
     a. The staff
     b. The campers
     c. Being in the woods for 2 months
     d. Hanging out with Tyler Nivison for 2 months

D. I am so thrilled to finally be a part of such a lovely staff, with the always amazing campers, and getting to be in Stokes State Forest for a whole two months! Ohh, and I guess Tyler too.

While you did choose the correct answer, your added comments have me thinking that you are being less than sincere about it.

5. Why did you decide to work at camp this summer?
     a. You loved camp as a camper, so you wanted to be a part of the magic that makes camp so great!
     b. It's the best place in the world! Why wouldn't you want to work there??
     c. Working outdoors and with kids is a passion of yours.
     d. Tyler Nivison will be there.

Not only was I a former camper myself but I love the outdoors. It being Lindley G. Cook camp only makes the experience oh-so-much more exciting. I suppose I can deal with Tyler being there. 

Again, I feel this interview is going in a downward direction.

6. What was your favorite class while you were a camper?
     a. Archery with Tyler
     b. Air Rifles with Tyler
     c. Shotgun with Tyler
     d. Classes don't matter, only Tyler matters!

My favorite class had to be anything that involved being outside and getting to explore camp. 

That was none of my answers. My confidence in this interview is decreasing with every question.

7. What advice would you give to a first year camper?
     a. Just be yourself.
     b. Don't be afraid to try new things, like kayaking!
     c. Have as much fun as you possibly can.
     d. See Tyler, he will lead you to glory!

I know that anyone can have a fun, worthwhile time at camp if they step out of their comfort zone and try something new. Make a friend, sing a silly song, eat an orange-muffin baked in the fire! You will surely be back next year.

That is some sound advice, but I need to hear my name a little more.

8. You were a CIT when I was the CIT coordinator. What was the best thing about that week of camp?
     a. The uncomfortable silences during our discussion classes.
     b. My utter stoicism, leaving doubt of whether you and your fellow CIT's were doing a good job or not.
     c. The awkwardness of having a robot teach you how to be a loving and nurturing counselor.
     d. Sitting at the flagpole at the beginning of classes waiting for me to stop pretending to read my clipboard.

B.Oh definitely B. But we all know that deep down lives a cuddly teddy bear inside the stern, hard outer shell of Tyler Nivison. 

Slander! You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

As to prove that the theory of free will is not lost on me, here are some open-ended questions.

9. How are you?

Swell, patiently awaiting camp. And you?

Can't complain, thanks for asking!

10. When you were a camper, what EE classes did you take? And what EE classes are you most looking forward to teaching?

All of them! I'm most excited to bust out my extreme Outdoor Cooking skills and make a killer meal with some awesome campers.

I like the sound of that, I fully expect lobster and filet mignon daily.

11. You have a single match and you are in the pitch black of night in the middle of the Stokes State Forest. You have an oil lantern, some newspaper and a candle. Which do you light first?

Definitely the oil lantern to protect the flame from any wind. And then work from there. Next I'd pull out my cell phone and call Tyler Nivison to come rescue me.

A classic trick question, you would light the match first! Due to extreme cowardice, however, I would not come rescue you. Dark forests are scary.

(*Also, Editor's Note. As Camp is a Tech Free Environment by "pull out her cell phone and call Tyler" Carli means "yell quite loudly with voice projection only a Camp Counselor can truly master." Is I'm pretty sure what she meant. And for Tyler, no forests at Camp are scary.)

12. What kind of things are you looking forward to as a staff counselor that you couldn't do as a volunteer counselor?

Excited to have a cabin full of campers to call my own!

Your excitement is definitely that of a first year counselor! I'm way, way too old to be in a cabin full of campers anymore.

(*Editors note: This is very true.)

13. Which theme week are you most excited for and why?

I couldn't get any more cliche, but Chaos week will always be a favorite of mine, even as a counselor!

Chaos Week hurts my brain. I am too ordered and meticulous to understand Chaos Week. 
Besides, there's something about Dr. Husqevarna that just gives me the creeps!

14. Lake Shawanni is the best. Agree or disagree citing excerpts from Arthur Miller's The Crucible to support your answer.

"Aye. But the Devil is a wily one, you cannot deny it." Hale
Lake Shawanni is a mystery, she is.You approach the edge of the dock. Test a toe--maybe two or three. Cold with a hint of warmth from the natural springs and hot summer sun. Once you take that leap it's a leap like you've never taken before. It's a wild ride that leaves you unsettled but somehow satisfied and eager for more.

Very good answer, but I was looking more for the personification of Lake Shawanni in the character of Thomas Putnam for obvious reasons of which I will not bore you with now. 

Thanks, Carli for a terrific interview, and I'm sure I speak for everyone at camp that we are extremely excited to have you working at camp all summer this year. See you then!


No comments:

Post a Comment