Friday, March 13, 2015

Meet the Staff of '15: Julia Langone interviews Patty Chan!

The second installment of our 17ish part series:

Meet the Summer Staff of 2015!
Returning Senior Staff:

JULIA LANGONE
RESOURCE COORDINATOR

--------------------INTERVIEWS--------------------

New Counselor:

PATTY CHAN
WATERFRONT COUNSELOR


Julia   Allright. Let's do this. How long have you been coming to camp, Patty? And why on earth do you keep coming back?

Patty   I've been coming to camp for 8 years, starting when I was 11 years old, time has flown since then! Honestly, once I started coming I really couldn't stop. The community, the camp family, the infectious camp spirit-- I wouldn't leave it behind for anything. People who have never experienced L. G. Cook would say "aren't you a little too old to be coming back to summer camp?". The answer is- "of course not!!" Now that my role as camper is complete, I'm so happy to be able to create for others the great camp experience I had myself.

Julia   Awesome sauce. Today I was making a sandwich and started singing the famous camp 'fried ham' song with a terrible British accent. What's your favorite camp song?

Patty   I love camp songs, it's hard to choose a favorite! I'm definitely a big fan of "Aga-flaga-fleega-flooga-ishka-nogga-neega-nooga-Aga-flaga-fleega-flooga-birdie" - I can't tell you how proud young Patty was when she first learned to sing the entire name. I also love the banana song, and it's other versions with the mango tango!

Julia   I love the mango tango. And the mashed potato. Camp at times seems like it has its own language.

Patty   Oh definitely. After a week of camp ends, people have a hard time trying to interpret my conversations with camp friends. It often trails into "you did what??? rolled a counselor in flour and chocolate sauce down a hill and then tossed them into a lake???"

Julia   Exactly. People also don't understand the wonder of jumping into a wonderfully slimy lake! Are you excited about working at the waterfront?

Patty   Is that even a question? I am so excited to be working at the waterfront! You see, I promised Velcro I'd be back to see him, so now I get to spend my whole summer chattin' him up as I teach boating and swimming classes. During the heat of the summer, Lake Shawani is definitely the place to be.

Julia   I just want to clarify that you admit to talking to snapping turtles.

Patty   Velcro's really friendly when you get to know him. You should hear some of the stories he has from being on camp for so long.

Julia   If you could turn into one of the animal group's mascots (turtle, bear, beaver, hawk) which would it be? Would you live the Velcro lifestyle forever?

Patty   While I'm a huge fan of Velcro's lifestyle being so chill, I don't think he tends to leave the lake very often. I think I'd have to say hawk-- imagine how many places I'd be able to see and travel to if I had their wings. Hawks are just super cool.

Julia   Very sweet! As both a past camper and volunteer you've experienced Battle for the Island and the Talent Show. Which is your favorite?

Patty   ooooh, very good question. As much as I go hard in Battle for the Island, the talent show really ties the week together! It's amazing seeing the acts the cabins work hard to pull together, and the talents of the campers and staff that you never knew they had. From magic tricks to hula-hoop routines to song duets, the acts are unique every week and year.

Julia   Did you ever do an individual act for a talent show - or remember something silly your cabin did in the past?

Patty   One time (during spy week) my cabin turned into spies. We did spy things. I'm pretty sure we were really good at acting like spies and doing spy stuff.

Julia   Oh Spy Week. One of my new favorite themes. As the theme queen of last summer and this summer, I'd love to hear your favorite throwback theme and your favorite new theme!

Patty   For a returning theme, Chaos has always been one favorites. What's better than making the chaos of camp even more chaotic? New theme- Jurassic week, definitely. Ben mentioned something about a horse for the wild west, but I'm hoping he can manage to bring a dinosaur for us to ride around camp. Besides Velcro I mean, I don't think he likes piggy back rides.

Julia   : What's the best little nugget of truth or knowledge or advice that you have taken away from camp and applied to your life?

Patty   You know, a lot of people note that they feel they're the best versions of themselves at camp, and I completely agree. The enthusiasm, good will, and sheer happiness really makes it. I try to bring that into the rest of my life, keep my chin up, and make the best of all experiences for myself and the people around me.

Julia   It has been lovely chatting with you Patty!

No comments:

Post a Comment