Friday, June 10, 2016

Meet the Staff of '16 - Volume XIII - Ariana Interviews Brendan








(***Editors Note: That's right! It's NEW staff interviewing NEW staff! Things get CRAZY this closer to summer starting...)



BRENDAN: What's your favorite summer tradition?

ARIANA: Summer break is one of my favorite traditions in itself! I love that its a time for trying new things and enjoying yourself. My favorite tradition of summer is the summer barbecues - there’s no better feeling than being all worn out from swimming and running around with friends, and sitting down for some great food. And of course going to camp! Why did you decide to be a camp counselor this summer? 



B: I decided to be a camp counselor this summer because I teach, so I'm always looking for fun things to do during the summer I have off! After recently graduating college, I wanted to come home to get re-intouch with my roots. I had been a Lindley G Cook 4-H camper not too long ago, and let's say I've been a camp counselor one or two or four summers by now. So when I heard Lindley G Cook needed a counselor, it seemed like a perfect fit. What kind of music do you enjoy?

A: I really do enjoy all music! I love music inspired by the South where I’ve lived all my life - the blues, southern rock, and bluegrass are some of my favorite genres.  I’ve also played guitar and piano since I was little! If you could be any animal or plant what would you be and why?

B: I always like this question because you learn a lot about a person by their answer. While I think all plants are valuable and wonderful, it'd be tough for me NOT to pick an animal. I've actually had a lot of camping, hiking closeup encounters with deer so I'd have to go with one of them. Stoic, calm, quick, lanky are all traits that them and I share in common. And as a lover of the woods, being a deer would be placing me in a place I already feel at home! If you could pick any superpower, which one would you pick?

A: Do you remember the show Avatar the Last Airbender? I would definitely want to be “the Avatar” and be able to control all the elements.  Think how great that would be to have at camp… campfires would never be the same!! What is the camp activity you’re most excited to try this summer?

B: Well I am very excited to be back at camp, and a lot of the camp activities of my youth are still here! For instance, what was once Outdoor Cooking, my favorite class, is now Trail Guide, where you get to learn all the different trails around camp and even do some cooking! Or Ranger, where you get to learn and even hike up to the Appalachian Trail. What're your top 3 most essential camp items?

A: For camp in Georgia it was sunscreen, bug spray, and water all tied for 1st! Down here it stays in the upper 90s most days starting in May. Pretty sure those are similar essentials for camp in New Jersey,  but I’m excited to have some relief from the humidity. I hear there are cool nights and mornings which I can’t wait for! I’ve also heard about Lyme disease, something we don’t have down south - less excited for that.  Oh, and definitely a big smile!! (***Editor's Note: Don't worry too much, Arianna! Our own Nurse Tosti will give you all the expert advice you need on tick checks, and you'll be able to  pass that advice on our campers. But you're 100% correct that the big smile will pay dividends, and is on everyone's packing list...) Being from New Jersey, what are some Summer things special to NJ?


B: Hmm, some NJ summer things can include: trips to the NJ shore and boardwalk, daytrips to NYC to hike around Central Park, massive fireworks displays on July 4th, grabbing ice cream with friends, and getting to spend time with all your friends you see every summer at camp!

(***Editor's Note: Good answer, Brendan! And now that it's officially well into JUNE, we'll be spending time with all our Camp friends real soon...)

No comments:

Post a Comment