Friday, May 22, 2015

Meet the Staff of '15: Carl Interviews Weronika


The eighteenth installment of our 17ish part series:  Meet the Summer Staff of 2015!

(I've said "ish" since the very beginning. Don't pretend you weren't warned.)


CARL "Camp's Longest Tenured Resident" CARL


COOK

-----INTERVIEWS----

WERONIKA
KITCHEN STAFF



(***EDITOR'S NOTE - For this one, "Me" equals "Carl." [As if you weren't way ahead of me at figuring that out because you've already seen like 20 of these and know how all this  works.])


Me: Let me first welcome you to my favorite, and greatest place here in this country. Lets start with...I am Carl. I am one of the oldest employees at camp. I worked in the kitchen on and off since my first summer in 1999. Anything interesting you want to tell about yourself? 

Weronika: Nice to meet you Carl, I am Weronika but some people call me Vicky, I come from Poland and study English philology, this is my second year and I hope to pass all my exams with flying colors! I am studying teaching specialization with American accent (we have this option to choose between British and American) so I am sure visiting the US will improve my pronunciation.  By the way phonetics and phonology is my second favorite subject, after US life and Institutions.

Me: Are you excited/nervous?

Weronika: I am super excited to come to the US! It has been my dream since I was a teenager. Literally I am counting off the days ! When I think about all of the people I will meet or about all of the places I will visit I can’t help myself but just jump like a lunatic.  It will be the greatest adventure of my life so I am also a little bit nervous but only in a positive way.

What I do apart from studying is writing articles for a website created by young people. I write about fashion, architecture & design and lifestyle generally as those are the fields of my interest. I heard there’s a museum devoted to Hemmingway’s work and It would be great to visit it as Ernest Hemmingway rocks if you ask me !



Me: I am a fan of Hemmingway also. You will fit in nicely, we all are a little crazy here in the best possible way. Have you worked in a kitchen before? What are your favorite things to make and eat?


Weronika: Yes I have worked in a kitchen before and it was fun! I guess my favorite things to make are spaghetti, all sorts of colorful sandwiches, fresh juicy cocktails and salads! I am rather a healthy eater and I eat lots of wholemeal food but I would never say no to a pizza or ice creams smile emoticon I also can make literally like 20 different dishes from chicken. Oh and pancakes- yummy! OK now i feel hungry! I definitely wait to try american cuisine- those iconic burgers since I am sure the one we have in Poland are far from what I can expect in the US. Smile Emoticon. 

(***EDITOR'S NOTE: I know for a fact this "smile emoticon" was a picture that the internet converted to text, but I liked the idea of it being typed out too much to change it...)


Me: We have spaghetti every other Thursday day. Its a camp favorite served with a little twist. Hope you don't mind getting messy! You mentioned ice cream so If you were an ice cream flavor what flavor would you be and why? Would you be plain or have toppings!


Weronika: When it comes to ice creams I guess I would be a coconut flavor - simply just it's my favorite, it's sweet but soft, not to sweet and it's of white color- white is pure. How cool is that explanation? Grin emoticon. (***Editors Note: I still love it.)


Me: As cool as a choco taco! How did you hear about camp america and our little magical place?


Weronika: I learned about CA from my friends who participated in the program a few years ago. There were also some brochures distributed at my University.


Me: We work hard in the kitchen but we get a lot of time to join in and experience camp. Past international staff tell us there is not many camps in other counties than America. What do you look forward to experience at camp? I highly recommend and encourage everything!


Weronika: Generally being in an English speaking environment and surrounding myself with native speakers would be a great experience. I cannot wait to just spend time with you all, work hard, learn new skills, learn how to make american pancakes grin emoticon maybe go fishing, I feel like doing anything on a camp would be amazing even though doing the same thing anywhere else would be trivial. I hope to have some fun with doing a role play (it is always hilarious).



Me: You will defiantly be called on for your roleplaying acting skills. Every week we have a talent show. Do you have any hidden talents you will share?


Weronika: Hidden talents? Hmm I think so, but I cannot tell you now- it would spoil the fun!


Me: Well played! We shall see then. Welcome to the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment