Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Meet the Staff of '16 - Volume IX - Aaron Interviews Nurse Tosti

(*Photo from deep in the Camp Archives, of course.)

  
(*Photo from very shallow in the Camp Archives. Of course.)




Aaron: Why don't you start by telling us the role you have at the 4H camp in controlling some of the chaos?


Lauren: Surprisingly enough, for as much chaos that goes on at camp, my job is not all that chaotic. I can contribute that to all the other staff members. Although I don't have a course area officially, I think I have the best job at camp because I have help from every other person on camp. Everyone is a part of my course area! It's all the great staff members that make my job so un-chaotic.


A: I have rightfully trusted you with my life (health) in summers past, why should the campers? (answer at own risk:) )

L: Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think one of the unique aspects I bring to the camp is not only do I have years of experience working as the health director, but I experienced all the other stages of camp. I was a camper, a CIT, a volunteer, a counselor at the waterfront, and now the health director. I see and understand camp from a variety of angles and that is why it is so natural for me to react to any type of situation.

A: What in the world keeps you coming back?

L: Everyone is family whether you knew them from years past or are meeting them for the first time. This place attracts a certain kind of soul, so even if the faces are different from one camp season to the next, the feeling is the same. I love that about camp! You have been coming to camp for years too! What about you? What keep you coming back?

A: Imagine a world where after you work (mostly) hard throughout the school year, and then when the Summer rolls around, you get to go swim in a lake, eat camp food, and make nearly infinite new friends...and get paid to do it. Besides that, I had been a camper at LG Cook for about ten years and my biggest regret throughout that experience has been missing out last year -- somehow I ended up working behind a cash register at a super market, something I never want to do again in the summer.
Do you have a favorite memory of all time from camp?

L: Oh gosh! I have so many favorite memories. I think one of my favorites though is a really small piece in the camp storybook that no one may remember, but it's one of my favorites. I think it was outdoor BBQ night and a cabin had brought bubbles. That night the lake was so calm that the bubbles were gently floating on top of the water. Soon other cabin began sitting on the side of the lake and we all just watched the bubbles floating on the water... in complete awe and silence. It was a magical moment. What's your favorite moment?

A: In extreme contrast, my favorite memory was not a beautiful quiet moment, rather a moment of absolute chaos. As a camper I LIVED for capture the flag, and when a series of flag throws from teammate to teammate ended in me running a big flag out of a different teams zone, no one could wipe the grin off of my face. I can only hope I am anywhere near as fast as I was back in the day. :)If I were a camper, and I wanted to win over your friendship, what would I have to do?

L: That's a simple task! I like when anyone says hi to me in the infirmary when they are passing by to go to class or something. Just a wave or a quick hello makes my day. Also, who doesn't love a friendship bracelet...just sayin' :)

A: As a note, I reallllllly hope I cannot see my arms under bracelets by the end of the summer. Anyways, who is the single most interesting/amazing/notable person you have ever met, and why?

L: I've never really met anyone famous, but the most amazing/interesting person to me was my grandpa. He was so good at telling stories and he knew anything there was to know about the outdoors!

A: You are stuck on a deserted island and are forced to survive for a week, what three items do you bring?

L: Hmm, OK I'm pretending that I already have what I need to survive and then maybe I happen to have a little extra packing room in my survival bag for some entertaining things...I would bring a yoga mat because I love to do yoga every day. I even do yoga when I am at camp and campers can join too it's called Golden Eagle Yoga and it is one of the morning activities you can pick! I would also bring my dog for some company and he is just oh so cute! And my last item would be some sort of music player because I love a good dance party! What would your three things be?

A: As someone who spends a lot of time in the woods leading trips, I am very tempted to say water purification kit, sleeping bag, and fire starting supplies, however, under the same guidelines as you, I would bring a set of drumsticks to make music on everything, a frisbee because that is the only sport(?) I have skills in, and a portable stove, because food and eating are superrrr important. What is your favorite camp food?!

L: I love when there is granola and those yummy strawberries at the breakfast bar! I will load those on over some yogurt and I know its going to be a good day! Do you have a favorite camp food?

A: Freakout.

(***Editor's Note: Freakout. The definitive, one-word dessert based answer to end ANY interview with. FREAKOUT, indeed.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment