Monday, May 23, 2016

Meet the Staff of '16 - Volume XI - Wojtek Interviews Carl






Wojtek: Hello Carl, I'm Wojtek, please do not mistake me for Wojciech(also known as Patrick - I'm looking at you Sue!) you met last year. We're separate people and it's just a coincidence that we
share last name. Definitely! Separate people...
Let's get back to the point! Where are you from Carl and how long have you been working at the
Camp?

Carl: I am originally a Sussex County local living under the beautiful high point mountain. I went to
University in Providence, Rhode Island where my camp career started way back in the summer of
1999. In 2004 I handed over the kitchen to Joan and moved to Sunshine factory of Tucson, Arizona.After about a six year hiatus I asked if it was possible to return. I was welcomed back with open arms and drive the 2500 miles every year with to make apple crisp and to cut a rug at the epic Friday night dance.

W: I have to say that your apple crisp is delicious.
(Side note: Did I just expose that this won't be my first time at Camp? Well, I guess I didn't fool
anyone. :) 2500 miles? That’s a long journey! There is nothing that tells how amazing LG Cook is more than stories like yours. You must really enjoy Camp to drive all the way from Tucson. Except for Camp Dance, what else makes you come back every year? What are you looking forward to most about this summer?

C: A lot makes me come back. The biggest is that when I leave in June it's already 110 degrees! You
can cook a egg in your car in that heat! My favorite is the staff. I always like seeing how the grow and work together as the summer
progresses, becoming a close knit family. It's great working with international staff. I am thrilled the
camp has hired more and more since I first started. I love learning and sharing each others cultures.
The campers! Especially the special diet campers. I like trying to match everything the regular campers get. Nothing better then seeing the excitement of someone that never had something before because they are allergic or a disorder. Nothing worse then not able to eat a dessert but to watch everyone else enjoy it. It's a labor of love!
The last would be the beautiful surroundings. I grew up in these woods and town. It's good to see
family and friends I would not get to see again living so far away. Some times you will see me at night weekend day just being outside and listening to the wind blow through the trees. That is what I enjoy and can't wait to get back to! Not to mention the cabin 4 or 5 talent show skits! They are amazing!


W: I couldn't agree more with you. I'm particularly happy that you mentioned internationals because
that's what I want to ask another question about. International staff I'm a part of is hired through
Camp America which is an organization focused on cultural exchange. That means we have an
additional task during the summer - sharing our culture. I know you had an opportunity to work with many people from all over the world. What do you think is the main difference between domestic and international staff?

C: In my experience the international are a little timid or shy at first(except Peter I don't think he's
ever been shy a day in his life [Editor's Note: This is confirmed]) but after the culture shock are the most eager to participate. That's why I always stress to the international kitchen staff to participate as much as possible outside the kitchen. Enjoy the beauty and fun are camp offers. Other then that international staff are usually a little more laid back, a lot more thankful, and willing to try new things.

W: Let's leave camp for a while. You are going to a Halloween party. What are you dressed up as?

C: A teddy bear! It's my spirit animal!


W: Let's go back to the mountains. Camp is going to be different compared to last year. One session
more! New themes! I'm super excited about Colour Wars. It sounds like a week-long BFI! Isn't that amazing? What are you the most excited about for Camp 2016? BONUS question: What are you the most disappointed about and why is that not having me in the kitchen this year? :D

C: I am excited for the biggest yearly change, the staff. I love sharing one of the best and rewarding
jobs and places to work. This year we have many old campers completing the circle after being
campers for so long now take their role as councilors. We have have a great group this year. Can't wait to see their transition. I never am sad or disappointed in coming back. It will be different without Jim this summer but I know Ben will/does an amazing job making sure everyone has an amazing and safe summer. [Editor's Note: Thank you, Carl. It'll be a way easier job with your help!]


W: Staff is going to be amazing. No doubts. I have only one more question for you. Let's use it to play "what if?" What classes would you choose if you were able to spend a week at the camp as a camper? Which theme would you like to experience the most?

C: I definitely would be signed up for archery. I love and want to get better shooting a bow. I also
would be on or in the lake as much as possible swimming and fishing to of my favorite things. Theme-wise I love the spy week and am excited for color wars. We haven't run that theme in a while and a lot of special things have been kicked around for it. I also like the non-theme "best of camp" we usually run at the end of camp. I know I would just get to meet as many new friends and try as many new things I would never do outside of camp! Its safe and encouraged here not only to the kids but for the staff. I was a very shy and not very confident in myself. Going to camp and sports helped but becoming a staff member here broke me out of that shell. I hope to share that experience always.
I have a few questions for you. What are you excited to see and eat since the last time you were here?


W: It's going to be amazing to see this beautiful lake again, chat with returning staff and meet new
people in the team. When it comes to food, viking dinner is something I'm super excited about. Spaghetti with meatballs followed by freakout.


C: Is there anything you didn't get to experience you are looking forward to?


W: I didn't have the pleasure to experience chaos machine, but I can't decide if I want to. Being
covered with lake mud doesn’t sound like fun but at the same time it does. :) Something I'm looking forward to the most is teaching my first class.

C: What made you switch from the kitchen staff to become a counselor? 


W: Last summer thanks to Ben and other staff members I was able to participate in many camp
activities in my free time. I quickly realized how rewarding working with kids is. That's why I did my best to come back as a counselor.


C: Summer is coming soon and I can't wait to see you, my friend! I know for sure you will do great in your new role.

W: I can't wait to see you too!


Carl + Wojtek

Together Again in Summer 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment