Tuesday, October 29, 2013

...our camping days and friendships true...


In my last entry-posty-whatever thing, I invited you to share any thoughts you may have on how Summer Camp went on to shape your fall, so I thought I'd share some of my favorites.

Here's one from a long time camper/CIT/volunteer who wished to remain anonymous but had some wonderful words on their camp experience. 

Enjoy.

---
Hey Ben and the rest of the camp staff that might or might not be reading this.  First, let me say that this blog is a great idea, I love hearing about camp away from the summer, its great! But to the story: Every year us campers (and now volunteers) get ready and prepare for camp, hoping for the best week of our lives. We are never disappointed. But that's not what this camp story is about. Every year the worst day of camp comes, saturday, and every year as a camper I would hug my summer time camp family goodbye, hold back the tears, and leave with my rest of the year family. This is usually succeeded by a day or two of trying to contact my friends from camp, the usual camp reunion, yada yada. But summer ends, and the sadness of leaving the mountains dims down again, and we all move on to another year of school. However, camp is still always found with us. Many of us learn things about ourselves at camp, and go on to use these things in great ways. Camp spirit has this special attribute, it never dies. Camp spirit has gotten us through test after test, through the hard times and the worst times. Camp spirit affects everyone differently, and I do not want to say any specifics for this is a post from everyone. However, I will admit this, if I stop for long enough and close my eyes, I can still smell the campfires, still hear the laughing children, still taste the amazing food, and still submerge in the cool waters of Lake Shawanni. Most importantly, however, I still manage to smile at the friendships I have made and the lives I have hopefully helped as a Volunteer, CIT, and camper. This is fall camp. This is winter camp. This is spring camp. And I cannot wait for summer so I can return to the mountains with my fellow 4-H campers, volunteers, counselors, and coordinators. Camp is for one, camp is for all. Hope to see you all next year internet land!

No comments:

Post a Comment