Wednesday, October 30, 2013

...and as the years go by...

And here's some lovely thoughts from our friend, Kayli Ziolkowski. 
----
Camp is not just a summer camp. That little bit of camp spirit that lights our campfires is what camp is, year-round. Admittedly, for me, it was just a place for a year or two, but six years later that spirit is with me into the fall and then for the rest of the seasons. I find myself living by asking myself, and others, whether actions are kind or respectful. I think before I speak ‘Keep it CA; what if the cabin 7 girls or the cabin 4 boys hear me?’ And then there are the little things I picked up like calling my friends ‘Child’, which has gotten me into trouble a few times, or singing the ‘Toast!’ song whenever the topic of baked bread slices comes up. I have found that a moral story about cute forest creatures and delinquents is not always appreciated by my peers; High School is a scary place but a round, or three, of baby monkey can lighten that up in a jiff (for me, at least). My CIT training is always with me and it has made me a better person. I volunteer whenever needed and I am first in line to help anyone who could use it. The Camp spirit that I’ve taken with me carries me through my year and has even inspired my future as I hope to carry on in the program as a volunteer and a counselor and, even farther in the future, become a teacher so that I can work with kids and make a positive impression. Camp is an amazing place but it is the memories made and the people who bring those back that keep the sun shining on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment