Thursday, June 12, 2014

Rob Hart

Over the years, hundreds of counselors have walked through our cabin doors and each one leaves an indelible mark on the summer they were here, the campers they counseled, and the history of camp itself.

One of these counselors was a young man from England named Rob Hart. One of camp's great prides is the international counselors who journey across the Atlantic (or more rarely Pacific) to come and spend a summer with us, and Rob was among their ranks. He was a cabin counselor in 2006 and 2007 and, if my memory serves me right, he spent most of his time working with our youngest campers in Cabin #5.

I volunteered during those two summers, so I didn't get to know Rob as well as his true camp family who was on staff with him those years, but he was still the kind of guy who left quite an impression. He was extremely outgoing and extremely funny. Like, extremely funny. Like really, really, really honestly, really funny. I think the best thing a person can be is really funny. And Rob was really funny.

Rob passed away yesterday, too early, far too young, and an ocean away from camp. 

Camp counts itself grateful, lucky, and forever marked by the fact that Rob chose to spend two of his summers here at Lindley G. Cook. His campers, co-counselors, and future story tellers around the fire will long remember what he meant to them and what he did during his time here. 

Two summers are short, but they also last forever.

He was one of us.










2 comments:

  1. I'm Rob Harts partner.
    I'm over in America for the summer, I would really like to visit the camp.
    Kind regards
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gemma! Please email me at summercampben@gmail.com or call the Camp Office (973-948-3550), I tried to reach out a couple times over google but I don't think the messages got your way. We'd love to have you come by and visit anytime!

    ReplyDelete